10.14.2008

The Name Curse

I'm doing this because I was tagged by Jewel. Instructions: Share the different names that different people call you.

My full name is a standard example of a kid born in the 80s, with two American-inspired given names and a Kastila surname. As a child, I got to be a little cooler than the kids with short names. However, it's a pain to learn it all quickly in writing... and as I got older, people made different, sometimes appalling, versions of my name. So let's begin the list.

Anna
Common, generic and easy to pronounce (thank god, I don't get called like Jewel's "jeh-wel"). And it's one of the coolest names in the world. Why? Because it's a palindrome. Shallow, I know. Some variations:

     Anna O - Used by D'can buddies to distinguish me from the other numerous Annas.
    Sister Anna - Exclusively Raymond's idea. It strangely originated from this frat-soro handshake thing we had.

Anne
This has been the official nickname so far. Only family and very close friends get to call me such. Besides, you'll hate me if let you use that name when texting me, etc. since I'm being obsessive-compulsive about it: it has to be spelled with a double N and an E. Only my brother can do without the E.

Ann-ann
I guess only your mom can call you a name that sounds like a fungus and get away with it. Nuff said.

Therese
I remembered the only ones who could pronounce this correctly, apart from the familair crowd, were Ms Divina and Ms Guiao from D'can. In college, Chris (I mean, Sir Chris) called me my full given name in the most sosyal way I've ever heard. Some variations:

     Trez! - Courtesy of my dad. And it's always with the exclamation mark.
     Teres - That comes from the people who don't know the actual pronunciation of my name. And recently, I discovered even British people tend to say it that way.
     Theresa (teresa or tereeza) - I don't really blame you if you forget about the little E in the end but I'm slightly bothered by this. Well, my mother purposely gave me my name because she thought "Theresa" would be too common.

Ofilas
Most of my brother's old classmates called by my surname. It's fine because it's no hassle and you can apply it to both of us siblings. It sounds impersonal but we love our surname so we don't mind. Just please pronounce it properly and NOT Ofelas, Ofilia, Ofelia, Ofilias or anything else that I haven't and wouldn't want to hear.

Lai
Only three people in the world call me this nickname and because those three people in the world know the full history behind it. LOL

Valedictorian
I heard this first from Nanay, a family friend in the US, and recently it has become a popular slight insult (and that's from those who DON'T even know me, surprisingly). I guess labels really won't go away that easily.

So I'd prefer you call me the way you've always called me. If you're my friend, I guess I'll forgive you butchering my name anyway. :)

What's on your list, Annie-chan, Verna, Ate Kel, Mame? The curse is passed. *sigh*

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Felipe Cunanan said...

Oh Annabanana. if there is someone who can't read/pronounce anna the right way. I will kick them in the neck, thus crushing the larynx. Yey!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Jewel Angeles said...

Hahahahaha! EXACTLY what I thought when I grew up with "Jung Jung." Yay for moms, right? ;p

3:15 AM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

Some do the American "ahnna", the trying hard "enna" and the Pinoy "aannaa". But it's all good. No one's gonna be injured then. :) Haha.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

Haha. A double yay then! Even if you promise you won't do that to your kids, I guess we all have that tendency to make up kadiri or baduy nicknames. Haha.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

^ Now I realized I forgot to add Felipe's new version of my name - "Annabanana".
Then there's the never-dying Ate Anna from the younger batches and other older people (like Kay, Eric, Kerry & Hernie lol) who are "figuratively" younger than me.
And Kenet's "Baby Anna" or "Baby" (as said in Ate Kel's post).
I think there's more that I just can't remember. Haha. :)

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Felipe Cunanan said...

Foreigners i forgive. But Filipinos? nuh uh. I know three other Annas and i don't recall botching their names, like "enna" Whatdadeuce! "ENNA"? Wow, sobrang trying hard naman yan.

Yeah, you forgot so edit your post. lol.

2:21 AM  
Anonymous KC Cervales said...

LOL. My mom used to call me that too. She even enrolled me in the Shakey's Bitrhday Club chuva using Ann-ann as my nickname. I was thinking that the people at Shakey's might give me Canesten as a birthday gift. :p

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home