6.26.2008

Giving up Cheesecake

At two early this morning, we rushed our mom to the hospital because of her elevated blood pressure, which failed to stabilize even after taking her anti-hypertensive drugs.

As I filled up the information sheet in the ER, a female resident tended to my mother. She assessed her condition, took the bp, gave her meds and instructed the nurses to prepare the ECG. I thought, that's something I could probably do. I could even bet that I know better about the exact mechanisms of action of those blockers and enzyme inhibitors. (Yabang. Maybe I'm being bitter.)

So I moved away from the gurneys. Stop the unhealthy thoughts. I gave it up, so stop the unhealthy thoughts. I just joked with my brother about racing the wheelchairs around the ER.


It's like cheesecake.

My expensive, dangerous guilty pleasure-cum-obsession. Despite the euphoric feeling of being one of few to taste the pricey indulgence, the saturated fats and harmful lipoproteins will come to bite you in the ass.

Cheesecake is bad for me. Hospitals are bad for me.


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Felipe Cunanan said...

Oh Saturated Fat.... You are like a church, the more i go to the more i get closer to God.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous KC Cervales said...

Well, I can't blame you. I also feel the same way. Whenever I am on duty, I think out of the box. Bitterness? Maybe. :p

9:38 PM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

^ Hehe. Di lang pala ako. Ayoko na nga sana isipin na "I could be her..." pero ganun siguro talaga. I guess doctors are bad for me din. Nagiging ampalaya ako bigla. Haha!

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Amary Mei said...

kimi shinai de, kimi shinai de! masyado pessimistic ;p emu-emuhan?

bruha tell me when you're free so i can file my freakin' leave nah! mababakla na ko sa opisina puro bakla at baabeng bakla ang nakakahalubilo ko!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

Wakatteru, wakatteru yo...

I'm free any weekend, minsan lang may mga biglaang stuff na need sa house. Just give me a heads up if you working gals can agree on a single day na ha.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home