11.19.2008

O Heaven Kissing Hill

That's one of the very few lines that I could remember from my old Alma Mater song (the title of which I can't even recall). What I remembered more was how I almost suffered from heat stroke by standing under the searing UV rays in the sand dunes of that school; just by waiting for the endless ritual of flag ceremony to be over.

So it's easy to understand why I've never itched to visit those sand dunes again. I believed that it was better to wait at least ten years for the full of effect of nostalgia to wash over me the next time I visit. However, I just broke the planned ten-year gap.

Here's the reason: The adopted son of my ninang is graduating from elementary in Dominican next year. He is a smart kid; so they decided to transfer him to a science high school. They got the application, but then the kid was too happy-go-lucky to have it signed to the proper authorities before the deadline and the school had some kind of reputation of delaying applications, so I was drafted by my mom to help. In short, I HAD to see someone I know and have the form signed. (Hence, the private messages on Multiply.)

So Tuesday morning. Around 9 am, the grade school kids were on recess... I came and visited the sand dunes, for the first time in four or five years. Even I never expected how I reacted.

It looks like a freakin' school! A freakin' sosyal private school. The breeze felt a little cooler, because the trees we planted have grown huge. The gym and pool area looked like a resort.

But what was more striking was how the old places looked so new... yet so old. Shet, yung paintings ni Mang Amor nung Grade 2 ako nandun pa. Yung lumang grotto buhay pa. Kahit kumpleto yung pathwalk, I almost tried to walk in the middle of the field under the blistering heat (because the field was calling out to be walked on). Yung high school classrooms: maingay, mainit, amoy pawis. Yung PE teacher namin, fit and jolly pa rin sa umaga. English policy pa rin. The temperature in the building was so alien, I swear, but it smelled familiar (yes, kahit yung amoy pawis).

After a short talk with Ms. Guiao, I headed down the same path and it took me ten minutes to reach the gate. Anak ng tokwa, I just couldn't get over those paintings by Mang Amor. Those paintings always have the same effect on me, whether I waited two or ten years to see them.

-000-000-000-

I have news for the alumni of this crunchy-infested, sandstorm campus: there's a Grand Homecoming next year in celebration of their 15th year. Celebration starts on January 30, with guests Parokya ni Edgar and MYMP. The foundation week commences with the alumni reunion, to be attended by former directresses of the school. However, all the information I have is just the result of an informal conversation so please don't take it as an official invitation or announcement. I'm just giving a heads up so everyone can prepare their post-high school selves. Haha.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Jewel Angeles said...

Parokya ni Edgar and MYMP. LOLOLOL Jologs pa rin!!!
Yiheeee Anna O aminin mo na you missed DCSR. :D

Let's go to the "alumni homecoming" thing! Come onnn, for fun. :D

2:26 PM  
Anonymous KC Cervales said...

Isa lang ang masasabi ko sa DCSR: ramdam na nila ang pag-asenso. Hindi kinaya ng powers ko ang sushality ng campus.

Palibhasa we were used to it being bakya. LMAO.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Felipe Cunanan said...

O rly? concert? Homecoming? Srsly.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

Fine. Haha. But what I really missed was the Torch. :)

I actually want to go to the homecoming thing because Mo. Anunciata is coming daw. I'd love to see her and find out if she remembers me at all.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

Asenso talaga. Palagay ko asenso pati tuition. ^_~ lol

And you know what, magtatayo na daw sila ng malaking chapel. Sa wakas, magmumukha na syang Catholic school. Haha.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

Yes, since they already have this outdoor stage thingy sa field... I expect dun nila gagawin ang concert. Considering who the performers will be, it will be a hit for the high schoolers. LOL

8:44 AM  
Anonymous candice kristine mendoza said...

i hope i can come, if it will push through..=)

see you ate anna

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Jewel Angeles said...

Meron naman every year eh. Parang hindi lang nila properly naiinvite yung mga actual alumni. Hahaha. It's that "disco" thing they have every year after intrams.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Jewel Angeles said...

LOLYah I think The Torch was one of the few things worth remembering.
Ha. I doubt Mo. Anunciata knows me. Sana Sister Marietta and Sister... shit I forget her name (SORRY!!!)... Sister cool? Music teacher grade 6? Those 2 I'd want to see again. :)

Do you have the exact date na? :)

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Felipe Cunanan said...

^Whatthedeuce! Sister Shit? /retarded

Craptastic... They have homecoming yearly, and yet they do not (properly) invite their alumni. Then sino mga tao dun?

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Felipe Cunanan said...

ZOMG!!! I graduated in a Catholic school?!

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Jewel Angeles said...

Whoever gets wind of this "alumni homecoming," I guess. Like what's happening right now. LOL.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous KC Cervales said...

Ay dapat naman con todo advertise sila so that everyone can come.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous anna ofilas said...

^ I don't even know if an alumni association exists. There was an "election" nuon, like after the year we graduated.

Although sabi sakin ni Ms Guiao, Ms Rovira is in charge of the directory (which is of course, totally outdated) at hindi na ko nagcomment. Haha.

4:09 AM  
Anonymous verna santiago said...

baka naman next next year pa to.. or hindi matutuloy.. its november na.. kelan pa kaya sila magyayaya? sa January? haha... sana hindi ako busy.. if ever... haha.. damn! the diet starts today!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Felipe Cunanan said...

Hmmm... they can contact me. coz, i haven't changed my number since 3rd year highschool. Demmet.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home